Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chairman's Award - videos?

I think today was the deadline for the Chairman's Award submission. Each year our team writes an essay about all the things we've done for FIRST, our community and FIRST in our community. I believe the written essay needed to be submitted today.

During the competition our students will give a presentation to the judges and highlight areas of the essay. The judges will interview the students on their knowledge of our team, FIRST in general and different areas of our robot. The essay and interview are used to determine who will win the most prestigious award that FIRST bestows.

About 2 years ago, when I first got involved in FIRST, we went through this process of putting together all the good that we'd done, so that we could present it to FIRST.

Later that season, as part of the 2007 President's Circle, I thought it would be awesome for teams to make videos out of their Chairman's Award and post them on the Internet. I also had this idea to start a website and post lots of videos that would help spread the word of FIRST. I figured these videos would include a lot of the same content that went into team's Chairman's Award videos. I am running this site, it's called FIRST Objective. You should check it out if you haven't.

So, now 2 years later, FIRST is requiring teams submitting entries for the Chairman's Award to also submit a video... Huh... wonder where they got that idea???

Anyhow, you can see our President's Circle video at this link. Also, FIRST sent me an invitation to be a part of the 2007 President's Circle after watching our video. Upon our acceptance, we were never contacted again. I suspect it was because we did this independent of any existing FRC team. But really, is this Gracious Professionalism?

No comments: