Saturday, January 24, 2009

We Have it Under Control

We are approaching the half way point through build season this year. Our programming team has made good progress and have been working through various issues with our code. One thing that has been a little tricky up to this point, was making sure all our code changes were getting passed around to the entire programming team.

Today I dug deeper into source code control systems. If you're not familiar with source code control, it is a software package that tracks who changes what in the source code files, and doesn't let any changes get lost. I have experience using the Microsoft product, Visual Source Safe, but hadn't experienced any of the Open Source products such as Subversion. I installed the free Subversion sever, Visual SVN on my laptop and began messing around with setting up code repositories and testing it's interaction with Wind River (our development environment). I did also play around with Tortoise SVN, which allows you to interact with the Subversion Server directly from Windows Explorer.

After some monkeying around, I figured out pretty much how it all works. It looks like when we get back together on Monday, we'll be able to easily exchange our source code files, and track who made what changes. So, from now on, all our source code should be under control.

No comments: