For some reason I've always liked the end of the year top whatever lists. Sometimes its the top 100, other times its the top 10...
Well, just the other day I started thinking about making my own top 10 list. I wanted to create a list of FIRST Robotics Competition teams and/or robots that stuck out in my mind over the last year. PLEASE keep in mind that my list is based entirely on what I saw at either a regional or from an Internet stream. Here's what I saw in 2008. I watched some of the live feed from the mid-west regional. I attended the regional in Milwaukee and West Michigan and watched some of the stream on NASA TV of the Championship. I also attended the West Michigan Regional Invitational, which was an off-season event held in October. All in all, I only saw a very small fraction of the teams compete, and still, when I watched all these events I wasn't keeping a score card in preparation for this blog. This list is simply the teams that really REALLY stuck out in my mind this year.
So I started thinking back at the teams and robots that I really admired. I wanted to make a top ten list and I wrote down 5 teams immediately. I started trying to think of other teams to round out the list and really drew a blank. There were other teams that I could remember, but only because I've been familiar with them over the past couple of years. So with that in mind, here is my top 5 list of FRC teams for 2008.
#5
910 - Foley Freeze
From Bishop Foley Catholic High School in Madison Heights Michigan.
I was familiar with this team from the 2007 season and really didn't get to see their stuff until the West Michigan Regional Invitational. It did help that our team was partnered with 910 in the finals. As an alliance, we ended up with being runners-up, but their robot really impressed me. I liked their design, their team was confident about their capabilities and I respect that a lot.
I'm looking forward to seeing Foley Freeze in 2009. Good luck to your team!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment