Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Update - October 8, 2008

Our FIRST Robotics Competition team has had a couple meetings already and a bigger one is planned for tomorrow evening. Hopefully we'll have a good turn out; we're planning on putting together details for the West Michigan Regional Invitational which will be held on October 25. We need lots of volunteers so that this event goes smoothly.

FRC registration began last week and being part of a Michigan team we are eligible to enter 2 "district" events. Officials from our team signed us up for the West Michigan district event and also the Traverse City district event. If we perform well at either of these events, we'll qualify for the State of Michigan Championship which will be in Ypsilanti toward the end of the season.

So, this leads me to my latest poll quest: Do you think FIRST in Michigan is a good step for FIRST? I had 2 responses; 1 yes, 1 no. I'd have to agree with both responses, as I think there is a great benefit for teams to compete more often at a cheaper price. However I fear that these events may be a bit more diluted than the old style "regionals" we've become acustomed to attending. Only time will tell if it is going to be a good thing.

If there are any facebook users that read my blog, I've written a facebook app that will display an analysis of any teams regional performaces for 2008. At this point it appears that my app is pending approval; I'm not sure how long that will take. Anyhow, if you use facebook, search in the applications for FIRST Overdrive if you'd like to check it out. As regional data begins to be generated for 2009, I'll be making a similar application and database.

Check back soon for an update on the proceedings for the first ever West Michigan Regional Invitational.

No comments: