Wednesday, September 24, 2008

FIRST season; almost

I heard through the grapevine yesterday that our FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) team will have their first meeting on Friday. I'm not sure if this is official, but it's time for us to start getting back together.

Our team (904) is co-hosting the West Michigan Regional Invitational with 3 other area teams. This is the first time West Michigan has had an off-season event, and it should be a lot of fun. This event will be Saturday October 25 at Grandville High School. We will be using our machines that we built for the 2008 season (FIRST Overdrive). It's time to start charging up the batteries and getting some kids driving the robot.

We are now 101 days away from the official start of FIRST season; that is the 2009 kick-off. Last year we had weekly meetings during the fall to learn and build our team. Hopefully we will be doing something similar this year. Last year FIRST posted clues in December. These clues were supposedly leading us to some early knowledge of what the game would be for the year. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out their meaning, and got nowhere with it. Even after kick-off I still didn't understand the clues.

Anyhow, summer is over, school is back in session and it's almost FIRST season.

No comments: