Sunday, April 20, 2008

Turning Pro

So, yesterday I watched the final matches of the 2008 FIRST Robotics Competition. I wrote a short post about it last night, but yet there is still one thing that I can't get out of my head. Dean Kamen (FIRST founder) gave a speech and one line has resonated with me since then.

It has often been argued if FIRST is a sport. A lot of teams start from after school clubs and don't get the recognition as being a sport. It's a tough call, but FIRST is far more than a club; it's an academic sport. A sport that requires both intellect and the physical ability to accomplish a task that changes every year. FIRST promotes science, technology in the same way that sports promotes athletics. Don't get me wrong, I believe being physically fit and in shape are among the top priorities of today's youth.

FIRST follows right behind as athletics for the mind.

Once you can realize that FIRST is a cerebral sport, Dean Kamen's quote makes sense....

Yesterday Dean said: "FIRST is the only sport where everyone can turn pro"

Science, engineering and technology students have a 100% chance of turning pro after college.

So, for all the football, basketball and baseball players out there... what are your chances of turning pro?

No comments: